Wednesday, April 27, 2016

My students began creating their word clouds this week. I didn't need to review the process at all. My students were so excited to get started! This capstone project is really transforming the art room. The students are engaged, interested, and excited to incorporate technology into art class, something that has not been done in the past. The word cloud website (imagechef) is completely new to them and to me. The students like the shape choices, rather than the typical cluster shape.

Word clouds have been a very appropriate project for art class. The students had to experiment with color choices: pink words won't show up well on a red background. They had to experiment with word choices: typing a word more than once will make it show up more often, and double words have to be typed together, otherwise they won't show up as one item in the cloud (i.e. chocolatemilk rather than chocolate milk).

The students had to follow the steps of the process carefully to make sure their projects were created to their specifications and saved properly: you must click the "preview" button so you see your changes, then save the new creation with your name. I also had to make sure I saved the word clouds to my computer by class using the teachers' names so I knew who to give the printed projects to. It has been quite a process, but it has been successful.

The following are picture of students creating their word clouds as well as some completed projects that will be printed and used to decorate the art room next week.











No comments:

Post a Comment